Pages

8.22.2010

kitchen creations

Here are some of my first DIYs for the new house. Considering I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, these were both much-needed!

Canisters


I loved the look of these glass canisters from Target. The square shape and stainless steel lids give them a modern look, and the rough hand-blown-look glass gives them the perfect eclectic look I was looking for. Plus, they come in three sizes and are stackable... perfect for maximizing space!

I picked up some scrapbooking letters in a font I liked and some etching cream at Michael's. To reverse-etch the canisters, do the following: 
  1. Tape off a rectangle with painter's tape. The area inside is what will have an etched finish. 
  2. Inside your rectangle, spell out the word with scrapbooking letters. 
  3. Smooth tape and letters out with a spackling knife to be sure they are pressed down everywhere; otherwise you may not end up with a clean edge after etching. 
  4. Apply a thick coat of etching cream inside the rectangle using a foam brush. 
  5. Set aside for 3-5 minutes. 
  6. Rinse etching cream off and un-peel tape and stickers. 

 


Spice Rack

I made this spice rack using 3 Grundtal magnetic knife racks from Ikea, 24 twist top tins from SpecialtyBottle.com, and labels I printed on sticker paper.

With this spice rack, all my herbs and spices are quickly accessible... no dizzying lazy susans.




No comments:

Post a Comment